Let's face it: This year even early August in L.A. feels more like an extended June gloom episode than the usual dessert heat. So instead of being bummed that you can't rock your favorite ditzy floral dresses, just keep your fave borrowed-from-the-boys button-up in the mix. And if you need some outfit inspiration on how to keep it looking hot, just take a hint from today's perfect subject and mix it with a seasonally fresh pair of white-cuffed shorts. The look is relaxed, effortless, and surprisingly stylish for a chillier summer day. And just because your look is low-maintenance, don't forget to add on some seriously classic accessories: An uncommon strappy sandal, skinny leather belt, and a berry lip stain will keep you polished and pretty all day long.
Here's how to mimic this masterful mix from top to bottom:
1. Boyfriend Shirt: We've been living in a chambray button-up all spring and summer long, but this striped number feels particularly perfect as a base for a breezy summer-to-fall outfit.
Boyfriend Striped Shirt, $158, available at Steven Alan Outpost, 1937 Hillhurst Avenue (at Finley Avenue); 323-667-9500.
2. White Cuff Shorts: Nothing says hot-weather style like a pair of white, slightly oversized shorts. It's also an ideal match for your fave floral blouse or polka-dot tank-top.
APC Linen Safari Shorts, $72, available at Creatures of Comfort, 7971 Melrose Avenue (at Edinburgh Street); 323-655-7855.
3. Flat Sandal: Break the mold and wear shoes that you can actually stroll. With these substantially strapped sandals, you can run errands all over town and feel like you just jumped out of your Prius.
Common Projects Sandals, $147, available at Creatures of Comfort, 7971 Melrose Avenue (at Edinburgh Street); 323-655-7855.
4. Skinny Belt: This is a classic for a reason. While big buckled belts feel like much too much for summer, this chic little cincher is all you need to make your shorts and baggier tunics fit to a T.
UO Narrow Leather Belt, $20, available at Urban Outfitters, 1440 3rd Street Promenade (at Broadway); 310-394-1404.
5. Berry Lipstick: While we usually opt for bright pink or red-hot rouge on our warm-weather kisser, there's something so lovely and understated about this berry-stained pout.
Lipstick Queen Rose Saint Lipstick, $18, available at Barneys, 9570 Wilshire Boulevard (at South Peck Drive); 310-276-4400.